Although not from the same year as our Rationing Challenge ration booklet, this cake can still be made within your rationing limits. This recipe produces a wonderful fruit loaf without using your egg or any milk. The cake can be enjoyed hot as a pudding, or cold with a light spreading of butter.
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves
300g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp baking powder
- Place the sugar, dried fruit, spices and margarine in a saucepan with 300 ml water
- Bring to the boil and then keep heating for 3 minutes. Put aside to cool.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180’C and grease and line a 900g loaf tin
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder
- Sieve the flour mixture into the fruit mixture (once cooled) and stir well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour
The original recipe can be found here on the People’s Friend website.