Here are the three cake recipes we had at our stall on Sunday at Milton Country Park Autumn Festival. All of the recipes include a vegetable and reduced sugar and/or fat:
- Butternut Squash and Ginger Cakes
- Pea and Vanilla Cake
- Chocolate and Beetroot
Butternut Squash and Ginger Cakes
Gluten free, fat free and low sugar
50g caster sugar
100g peeled and grated butternut squash
grated zest of half a lemon
25g rice ﬂour
50g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 160 C
2. Whisk together the egg and the sugar in a bowl until ﬂuffy and pale
3. Add the grated butternut squash and lemon zest, and whisk brieﬂy
4. Add the ﬂour, ground almonds, baking powder and ground ginger and whisk again
5. Either spoon the mixture into a small cake tin, or into small cup cake cases
6. For larger cake, bake for about 30 minutes, for cupcakes bake for 15 minutes
Adapted from Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache by Harry Eastwood
Pea and Vanilla Cake
This recipe was truly delicious! Click here for the recipe on Veggiedesserts.com
Chocolate and Beetroot Cake
375g Beetroot (cooked, NOT pickled)
300ml Sunflower Oil
275g Plain Flour
3 tsp Baking Powder
110g Cocoa Powder (unsweetened)
Couple of drops of vanilla essence
Pinch of salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 175o.
2. Puree the cooked beetroot with the oil.
3. Whisk the eggs into the beetroot puree.
4. Combine all of the dry ingredients and add to puree.
5. Line and fill a 2.5 litre tin and place in the oven for 1 ½ hours (cover for the last 15-20 minutes so that the cake does not burn).