Ingredients (Serves 6)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 red chilli
1 tsp roasted chilli powder
½ tsp mustard seeds
100ml of coconut milk
2cm piece ginger, crushed
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp roasted fennel powder*
Sprig of curry leaves, chopped
- Skin the pumpkin, remove the seeds and cut into small pieces
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion
- Add the mustard seeds, cumin, crushed garlic and ginger to the pan
- Add the roasted chilli powder, turmeric and ¼ cup water
- Cook for five minutes on a high heat
- Add the coconut milk and leave on the heat until the sauce thickens
- Finally sprinkle the chopped curry leaves and the fennel powder.
Serve with rice
*Fennel powder- in a frying pan add 2 tbsp fennel seeds, dry roast with 1 tsp of rice, 1 tsp desiccated coconut, and a piece of cinnamon . When brown take it out and let it cool. Grind this to a powder and keep in a jar.
This recipe is from the book Rice and Kari by Sivakamy Mahalingham. From the sales of this book, 100% of proceeds go to: Breast cancer at ACT Cambridge, Great Ormond’s Street Hospital, a Hindu temple in London and an orphanage in Sri Lanka.