Preparation & cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 round pumpkin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion or 6 shallots
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tsp roasted chilli powder
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 large onion
- piece of cream coconut or ¼ tin of coconut milk
- piece of ginger and 2 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp roasted fennel powder, sprig of curry leaves
1. Skin the pumpkin, remove the seeds and the little strands round it. Cut into small pieces or strips of 2” size.
2. Heat a heavy based frying pan add the oil and the finely sliced onions. Sauté and add the mustard seeds, cumin, crushed garlic and ginger
3. Add the roasted chilli powder, turmeric and ¼ cup water. Cook for five to six minutes on a high heat.
4. Add the cream coconut or milk and let it cook until the sauce thickens.
4. Finally sprinkle the chopped curry leaves and the fennel powder.
Serve with rice. Whilst cooking do not stir a lot as the pumpkin will get squashed/mashed.
In a frying pan add 2 table spoons of fennel seeds, dry roast with 1 tsp of rice, 1 tsp desiccated coconut, piece of cinnamon . When brown take it out and let it cool. Grind this to a powder and keep in a jar.
From Rice and Kari by Sivakamy Mahalingham – 100% proceeds go to; Breast cancer at ACT Cambridge, Great Ormond’s Street Hospital, a Hindu temple in London and an orphanage in Sri Lanka.