- 200g light muscovado sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 200g finely grated raw squash flesh
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 100g raisins
- 100g ground almonds
- 200g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Generous grating of fresh nutmeg
- Heat the oven to 170C/335F/gas mark 3 and line a 10cm x 20cm loaf tin with baking parchment.
- Use an electric whisk to beat the sugar and egg yolks for two to three minutes, until pale and creamy.
- Lightly stir in the pumpkin, lemon zest and juice, raisins and almonds.
- Combine the flour, salt and spices, sift these in, then fold them in.
- Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks.
- Beat a heaped tablespoonful of egg white into the batter to loosen it, then fold in the rest as gently as you can.
- Tip into the prepared tin and level the top. Bake for about an hour, until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, than transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
From The Guardian