- 400 g plain flour
- 175 g sugar* (Originally 250g)
- 50 g 70% cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 500 g steamed broccoli, until soft and liquidised
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 175 g butter, melted and cooled
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 300 ml water
- 330 g blueberries (rolled in flour to stop them sinking)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Butter and line the bottom of two 20 cm sandwich tins.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. In another bowl whisk together the eggs, broccoli and vanilla until blended. Using a mixer, beat together the melted butter and corn oil until just blended, then beat in the water. Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix together on a slow speed. Add the egg mixture, and mix again until everything is blended. Fold in the blueberries and then pour into the prepared tins.
- Bake the cakes for 60 -65 minutes. Cool the cakes in their tins on a wire rack for 15 minutes, and then turn the cakes out on the rack to cool completely.
All of our recipes can be found on our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/cambridgefood